Crawl Space Repair
The crawl space is a common place in a home and is something most homeowners don’t think about every day. It tends to be a place that’s dark, murky, cold, damp and very easily ignored. It can be very hazardous as well since this space is key to your home’s health. If you lose track of it or forget about this very important space, you may end up with allergens, mould and unwanted critters.
Crawl Space Mould Repair
Mould is caused by latent moisture. It begins to develop and then feed upon organic materials such as wood, carpet, and paint. Because the dirt will never be dry, a dirty crawl space is a prime goal for mould.
Mould’s most important objective is to break down dead organic matter, items that were living and are now wet and dead. Mould tends to enter through cracks in walls, and through the block walls, right through the footing, involving the floor and the walls. It lies in puddles after the moisture seeps in. These puddles slowly evaporate upward into the home. The way to control mould is to control the moisture. Because these vents let in moisture, basements with vents are normally also dangerous. Health issues worsen for the many people struggling with asthma and allergies.
Reducing the moisture in the crawl space of your home is essential for maintaining the value of your home and a healthy home at that.
Allergens and Critters
Dust mites are microscopic parasites that thrive in humid environments and eat dead skin. A moisture filled cellar is a perfect environment for these allergens. Additionally, there are unwanted critters that move into moist crawl spaces such as termites, snakes, mice, rats, and spiders. It is a food chain that may attract more and more undesirable varmints in your house. These varmints die and live in your crawl space-sometimes producing quite foul and unwelcoming odors.
You can address your crawl space issues with four steps: fixing the ground water leakage, isolating the house, sealing out the outside air and maintaining air quality.
- A sump pump must be installed to pump water.
- The next step is to isolate the home from so it can be kept dry, making the home’s foundation no longer a breeding ground for mould.
- Many homeowners choose some sort of liner or flooring as concrete floors do not always provide the expected benefits and are porous.
- Look for a liner has a polyethylene membrane to help water flow, is puncture and tear resistant, and made out of 20 mils thick flexible plastic. Meanwhile, some sprays can tear. However, there are some high quality plastic liners which are well-worth the investment.
- The next step is to keep the unconditioned air out. Vent covers are your friend! They will insulate your home, improve appearance and seal the air out. These plastic covers will not rot or need paint and will last quite a long time.
- Step four consists of maintaining your crawl space and being sure to keep it dry. A dehumidifier will continue to rid your cellar of moisture by cycling it out or collecting it.
We’re proud to provide an accredited crawl space contractor throughout our service areas. We specialize in basement waterproofing options and insulation installation and crawl space vapor barrier, dehumidifier, sump pump for mould prevention and crawl space repair. Contact Wet Basement Resolutions today to get your free crawl space repair inspection and quotation.